Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Japanese Movie: Rurouni Kenshin Live Action 2012 & 2014

I have always been a fan of Rurouni Kenshin ever since I was little. I can remember going home early just to watch RK in AXN everyday. It was the first anime I fell in love with. That time, it was English dubbed, Samuai X was the title then. Because of its popularity, AXN reaired the Japanese subbed version. From then on, we have been watching anime series that AXN airs which includes Ninku, Grandrer Musashi and Cooking Master Boy. Oh, those were the days. ^_^

Access to the Internet was so limited then, so the moment we had our own line, one of the torrent files I downloaded was this one. I watched the whole series several times especially before I got hooked to Korean drama.

Now that Rurouni Kenshin has been made into a motion picture, I was so excited as to how it would be. I was not expecting much and somehow I got disappointed and at the same time impressed with the overall movie.  Disappointed with how they played around with the original plot. I know that the movie was focusing only on the first part of the series where Kenshin met Kaoru and other characters but it was so messed up. I totally understood why it was done like that, to make every character appear in just one plot. However, fans of Rurouni Kenshin would never agree to this. First of all, the Kamiya student and the Opium incident was in no way related to each other. Furthermore, Aoshi was the main character of the opium incident, how come he was not there and was replaced by another minor character from the actual anime itself. This and many others have disappointed me.

The trailer was excellent and  made me want to see it so bad. Because it was a live action RK, any fan would go gaga over it. But then I was disappointed with the plot only. What made the movie a must watch for me are the actors. You know me, I go for the looks, the looks of the actors. ^_^ If not for them, it would have been a waste.


Directed by Keishi Ōtomo
Produced by Osamu Kubota
Screenplay by Kiyomi Fujii
                                Keishi Otomo
Based on Rurouni Kenshin by Nobuhiro Watsuki
Starring  Takeru Sato
                        Emi Takei
Music by         Naoki Sato
Cinematography Takuro Ishizaka
Edited by Tsuyoshi Imai
Distributed by Warner Bros.
Country Japan
Language Japanese

Rurouni Kenshin Kyoto Inferno has just bee released last August 20, 2014. Contrary to the first movie, Kyoto Inferno has stayed true to the original anime plot. I liked how the movie  brought to life the life the important characters of the Shishio Arc. One thing I cannot forget about this arc in the anime is the Heart of Sword soundtrack. I also cannot forget the part hen Keshin bid Kaoru farewell at the riverbanks with all the fireflies. Kenshin's said this to Kaoru while he was hugging her "...I just have to go to Kyoto, but it doesn'r mean that I don't love you..." and then Kaoru broke into tears. Then the epic background music. Sadly, all these I mentioned were not in the movie.

I so wanted the Heart of Sword theme at the fight in the temple with Cho. It should have been played as the background while they were fighting. I understand that the movie cannot relicate Cho's bedable sword, but at least they tried to make it as close to the original anime. As for the goodbye, I was glad that they still choose the goodbye at the river but Kenshin's dialogue was changed so as the background music.

At least one of the Kenshin's memorable lines was used somehow. "Part of me is, but the other half is glad to see you here." This was when Kaoru followed Kenshin to Kyoto.

As always, I have eyes for pretty boys. Tatsuya Fujiwara who plays Shishio is an eye candy. Wohoho ^_^ Too bad his beauty is covered up in bandages. Tsk Tsk.  They picked god looking actors this time: Seta, Aoshi. The old man from Oni gang is so good. I wonder if it was just his double doing the stunts. For an old man, he's very good.

The third installent of Rurouni Kenshin is titled "The Legend Ends" which will be released in theaters at the end of September. It is the continuation of Kenshin's Battle with Sishio as he saves Kaoru and reunites with his teacher, Hiko Seijuro.

I'll see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Annyeong! I would love to hear what's in your mind. I'd also love to know where you all came from. Let's all be friends! Hugs and kisses! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...